Friday 12 May 2017

Movie Review: Smurfs: The Lost Vilage




This movie review movie is Smurfs: The Lost Village and, unlike the last two Smurfs movies, is fully animated instead of being live action. The Smurfs are actually one of my cousin Jordan's favorite things. I would have brought her along to watch the movie with me, but she was on her way to the states, so she will have to read what my thoughts were instead. So, I hope you enjoy my review on Smurfs: The Lost Village.

The movie starts with a narration saying that the story begins in a secret place deep in a forest. A blue creature pushing a cart walks on screen whistling and then trips. While they are falling we learn that he is a Smurf. More precisely Clumsy Smurf (voiced by Jack McBrayer), and as he rolls through a hollow log the narration introduces us to more Smurfs in the village, until finally we come to the owner of the voice, Papa Smurf (voiced by Mandy Patinkin).

He then tells us that this story is not about him or any of the others we saw, but that it is about Smurfette (voiced by Demi Lovato). It then goes through her doing some of the things the other Smurfs were doing and not being very good at them. The whole time she does this, the same question is asked over and over: what is a Smurfette? 

The voice acting was expressive, and fun to listen to. Each person really brought out the personality of the Smurf they took on. Over exaggeration of the trait of the Smurf is a must and these actors did an amazing job. Demi Lovato was good at bringing Smurfette to life through her voice and you could really feel her emotional struggle.

The story plot was good and I was very happy to see them bring the girl smurfs into the movie finally. I would have loved to see them sooner and do more, however. I think there was a lot of lost potential there. I also think they lost some great action scenes with how mild they played the forbidden forest.

Overall, the movie was pretty good and enjoyable for the whole family. There were chances to do more with it, but still enjoyable. For these reasons I would rate this movie 7.2/10



No comments:

Post a Comment