Friday 19 June 2015

Movie Review: Jurassic World


Before I start this review, I want to say sorry for getting this out so late but my family is in the middle of moving and the computer accidentally got packed into one of the boxes.

When I was little, there was nothing I loved more than dinosaurs. In fact, I had a membership to the Royal Tyrrell museum and even though we didn’t live where it is, we went every summer because I loved dinos so much.

But anyways, let’s start with what you need to do before you watch this movie. Do you need to watch a movie marathon before you go and watch it? No, you just need to watch the first movie before you go to compare.

The movie starts with a shot of two eggs hatching, and because it’s a movie in the Jurassic park series, they are dinosaur eggs. It moves on to scenes that introduce us to the main characters; Owen (played by Chris Pratt) who is the expert dino handler, Claire (played by Bryce Dallas Howard) the park manager and Aunt of Gray (Played by Ty Simpkins) & Zach (played by Nick Robinson) who are brothers and get into a lot of trouble at Jurassic World.

The rest of the story is about how the now up and running park, renamed to Jurassic World because of what happened in the first movie, is trying to figure out a way to keep people interested. They decide to make a new dinosaur that is scarier and more awesome to bring more people to the park. This is where the Indominus Rex comes in. The part I struggle with is them saying this is the first genetically modified dinosaur because really, all of them are genetically modified because they used frogs to fill in the gene gaps. Maybe the writers didn’t think of that part, but it’s really the first dinosaur with more than just a single dinosaur’s genes and genes of a frog.

The story plot I found was very similar to the one in Jurassic Park, which was probably to bring us back to the first movie, but still. Even though they were supposed to be a throwback to the first movie, I found them to be almost the same as the ones in Jurassic Park. In most cases I would think this was bad but it works for this movie as the other one is 22 years old so this is a better way of going rather than remaking the whole series. But if they do decide to make two more Jurassic World movies that are just as similar to the other Jurassic Park movies, I might just give them lower ratings if I decide to review them. But I do like that they show a more personal side to taking care of the dinosaurs and that they have more respect for them. 

I have a few favorite parts to the movie but will not spoil it for you, however I will say the unlikely trio of heroes at the end was awesome. It made me jump a couple of times and really kept me involved. Speaking of which, my biggest jump didn’t come from a dinosaur, it came from a pig.

I found the acting to be very good, but there were some moments that were a little hard to believe because of how they treated the dinosaurs up close, and how the dinosaurs treated them up close as well. It maybe how the script was written but I still didn’t like it too much.

I would rate this movie 8.2/10 for good acting and a thrilling story. Lost a little for having a little too familiar story plot and thinking the idea of genetically modified was new. 

As a side thought, one of my favorite parts of going to the theater to watch the movies are the Cineplex pre-shows that play 15 minutes before the movies start. Get there early and check it out if you want.

Don't forget to leave me your thoughts below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment