Wednesday 22 July 2015

Movie Review: Ant-Man



So you may recall from my Age of Ultron post that my family loves the Marvel movies. I had only heard of Ant-man maybe once or twice before this movie so I was really interested in what this super hero had going for him. Turns out it’s a lot.

The movie starts in 1989 at S.H.I.E.L.D where Dr. Hank Pym (played by Michael Douglas) is mad that Howard Stark (played by John Slattery) had been trying to replicate his formula for shrinking things. After maybe two or three minutes into the scene Hank Pym punches Howard Stark in the face and quits.

Years later, in 2015, Scott Lang (played by Paul Rudd) gets punched in the face by one of his prison mates (it’s their goodbye ritual). As he leaves, he is greeted by his friend Luis (played by Michael Pena) with his van in the parking lot. They go to the apartment Luis and his buddies, Kurt (played by David Dastmalchian) and Dave (played by T.I.) are staying at. When they get to the apartment, Luis tells Scott about a job to break into a safe with lots of money and after some misfortune Scott finally agrees to the job. This is the beginning of his new life adventure.

The story plot in my opinion was very thought out and well done for the introduction of this latest Marvel Hero. The interlinking with the Avenger Franchise is great and I love the Cameo of one of the Avengers. There is a great mix of comedy that balances out the tragedy of Scott’s life. I also like how he thinks more like a real person would think in terms of his family and priority. I think it really added a human aspect to the character. Makes me interested in looking up the original Ant-Man comic books.

I will also say I loved seeing the battles from a micro view but even more when they showed what those battles looked like to the average human eye. My one complaint would be there were some aspects of the movie where I think, even for a comic book story, that they goofed on. Feel free to comment and I will let you know what they are but do not want to spoil the movie too much here.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie and look forward to seeing Ant-Man in future movies. I rate this movie 8.7/10 for the lack of continuity but great story and introduction.


Please remember that this is a Marvel movie and that there are not one but two extra scenes in the credits. One in the middle and another at the very end.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, I saw this last week in 3D. What are the things you thought were the goofs? I enjoyed it more than I expected to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I did sit through all the credits and saw both extra scenes. ;)

    ReplyDelete