Monday 13 July 2015

Movie Review: Minions




Before I get to the review I feel I need to say that The Minion movie isn’t a sequel to the Despicable Me movies, but is instead a prequel to both of them. Prequels are movies or games that came out after the first or more but comes before the first in their timeline. So, I hope you enjoy this review of the first prequel I’ve seen for the blog.

Just before the movie, when they show all the logos and stuff to show who all made the movie and/or who’s sponsoring it, the minions actually sing the song for the Universal studios logo. Right after it shows the Illumination studios logo with the one of the minions still singing a note, then passing out.

Then it goes to the first scene in the movie where the world has finished forming and now there are all the first sea creatures. On the left side of the screen you can see three yellow blobs swimming slowly, which somehow evolve eyes instantly as they watch a different creature eat another. They start following this creature around until it gets eaten so they follow the new one until it gets eaten, and this goes on for a few minutes as they evolve limbs and continue to follow more and more creatures until they decide to call their friends and swim up to the surface and emerge with goggles and pants, somehow.

After they emerge, the minions find a dinosaur to make a master of, but they lose it due to a boulder and a volcano. Then the movie goes through all the masters that the minions had but lost all the way up until they find an ice cave to make a home of their own in. After a while though, they get bored and sad because they were missing something, a master. So Kevin (the tall one) makes a speech to go outside their cave to find them a new boss. Kevin needed more minions to go with him, so Bob (the short one) volunteered but Kevin didn’t want him at the time. Another minion made a sleeping Stuart (the one with the instrument) volunteer before he woke up, so he had no idea what he had won. Eventually though, Kevin decided that Bob could go with him on this adventure, mostly because no other minions wanted to go.

The story plot after the Minions left the cave was well written and gave a good adventure for them and for those watching the movie. They met some great characters and I love how Scarlett Overkill (voiced by Sandra Bullock) was the ultimate female villain. 

The voice acting was very well done and I really liked the narration by Geoffrey Rush, and Peter Coffin did a good job with the Minions although I had to look his name up as I missed it during the credits. I probably would have seen it but I was too busy enjoying the mini shorts spread throughout the credits, and even if I did see it, there was a little minion music video at the very end which would have made me forget who voiced them anyways.

Overall the movie was very funny and great for all ages to enjoy, adults because of all the action and adventure in the movie, and for kids because of the minions and silly jokes. I would have had the beginning of the movie move faster into the main story, and for this reason I would rate this movie 8.5/10.

As a fun note, the movie has a great music soundtrack with lots of 60’s fun like the song Hair, only minionized.


1 comment:

  1. You make me want to see this movie even though I am not a big fan of cartoon or animated movies. Good job. I will look for it to come to Lethbridge.

    ReplyDelete